Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Game of Life


Remember it? From your youth? Well...this awesome bar near my place offers it in all it's charicatured glory for patrons to enjoy. Me and roomie bet the bouncer the other night when he was working at a club and decided to try out a new spot...played a few rounds of backgammon and then went on to Life once Iceland (guy friend) got there.

It was so strange to play it as an "adult"...the object of the game is to retire with the most money...you start out with the option to go to college or try and score a high paying job without. You are guaranteed at least 40k (teacher) and the potential for advancement if you go the college route. But the caveat is the 100K student loan debt. How much more can I relate to this decision making process than I could at age 12? I remember my mom ALWAYS took the college route and encouraged me to do so, too. In college, you do things like "Spring Break in Florida" for 5k (!!!) and miss a turn for exams. Then comes post-college...engagement, marriage, buying a house. Then babies, the opportunity to go back to school OR have a baby (guess which i chose?), upgrades on the house and car, vacations, private school and college for the kids, more vacations and "dreams" like sponsoring an art show or having a family portrait painted. Amusingly, along the way, are opportunities to sue another player for $100k. Sometimes you win, sometimes they have a card that exempts them. You get to the end, maybe have grandkids, and retire. he with the most toys wins.

What a clever game.

Even crazier -- the fact that I just stumbled across a holiday photo album of three girls that I went to SECOND GRADE WITH on facebook. amazing that I remember this. One of them actually goes/went to my current school and lived within a mile of me...I lied to our teacher in second grade and said that I knew where she lived and would take her homework over when she was sick. I did not, in fact, know where she lived. Now she is on facebook drinking beer.