Friday, December 19, 2008

and man, we had the time of our lives

on a post from a couple of years ago

There’s a picture of us in Baha, California
Eating fish tacos and drinking cold, cold beer
And man we had the time of our lives
Yes that was a very good year
Drove all the way up the coast of California
All the way up to 101
One time we cruised all the way to Vancouver
Just to watch the setting sun

Every time I looked in those far away eyes
I could see me getting left behind
I gave her my best
But her west was wilder than mine
Got lost in the desert and found an Indian casino
And she started rollin those nines
Stackin up the chips half way to heaven
Without even trying
We watched it all go at the roulette wheel
She let it all ride on the black
She said don’t worry baby
You can’t keep what you never had
You can’t keep what you never had

Laugh like the devil and howl at the moon
I knew I was losing my mind
I gave her my best
But her west was wilder than mine

I was gasin up in a dust storm outside of Sedona
She was chasin tumbleweed
She flagged down a kenworth and jumped in a cab
It was the last of her I’d ever seen
It was the last of her I’d ever seen
Where the wild wind blows and anything goes
As long as its over the line

I gave her my best
But her west was wilder than mine
It was wilder than mine
Theres a picture of us down in Baha, California
Eatin fish tacos, drinking cold, cold beer


What amazing lyrics... (Brooks and Dunn, Her West Was Wilder Than Mine)....an interesting time of my life when I originally posted them: first year of law school. It was so tumultuous and I was so confused about so much. i guess I found comfort in the lyrics of this song and related to it 100%. And it is so awesome because reading it just now STILL gives me the chills. I've got a wild heart. But I get sad and lonely too. I love the chasing and the being chased. I love that I drove up highway 101 this year with someone who used to mean everything to me, but not enough. I'm thinking of going to Vancouver in January. Been to Baja California. its a song of love and losing, of good times that shape who we are. I still love adventures, but they have such a different connotation than they used to... they are more personal now, more than about just "going" somewhere. but not totally. I STILL just love going places. I hope that never changes.

i love the line "and man, we had the time of our lives." It reminds me of so many adventures and flings and loves over the years of my early twenties. while i don't want that to end, those things just don't really fulfill me like they used to...well actually, they probably never did, but i just didn't care then. I guess it is virtue of where I am in life...about to embark on a career and some degree of seriousness, but still trying to seize the last few months of my young, uncommitted life to the fullest without hurting my heart or being reckless. anywho...lots of time for thinking over the holidays...sort of what i need and sort of what i don't need.

1 comment:

Parad0x said...

*sigh*

We're getting old, aren't we?