Saturday, April 30, 2016

Good things come in threes?

I know they say bad things come in threes, but thankfully good things do too ...even in fours and fives!  :)

I have to say, Thursday was such a wonderful day.  It was our fourth wedding anniversary.  I was feeling stressed about an email I got from my Pilates teacher about how the program is going to work out, charging clients etc.  I went to a spin class and on my way out, the manager of that gym basically offered me a job teaching part time.  What could make me happier?  It was funny, because I had just reminded myself that morning to "go with the flow"...the right doors will open when they do.  Then, we got a new file from my new client -- a good one!  It was a great day.
then, yesterday, April 29, 2016 we closed on our new home!
It has been quite a week.  We spent last weekend in Sonoma with both of our sets of parents for the Dry Creek Valley Wine Festival and rented a lovely home on a vineyard.  It was a really great time....we had lots of laughs watching political comedy skits, eating and drinking together, playing celebrity, and even being hungover together haha.  It was a really fantastic weekend and we agreed it was even better for our parents than for us!  I think we were a bit nervous going into it with significant political and religious differences, but fortunately everyone hates the current political situation and the religion thing only came up one night late when everyone was drunk...and was quickly squashed.  My dad is so cute... my mom starts getting into and he's jus like....June, don't.  My mom is a little lush!  It's cute...she's like me, just likes to drink fast not to get drunk but because tastes good and next thing you know, wasted!
We are doing a major gut rehab of the house which is really exciting.  I think Baz is more excited than me, but it is fun to see him have a project and be excited about something.  It's going to be stressful, but I keep trying to tell myself that he has a nice, established record with our condo and I have to stay out of the way.
Fourth anniversary is fruit and flowers... Baz created this amazing fruit and flower box and stuck a gorgeous Shinola watch in there... watches hand made in Detroit with a cool shop in our neighborhood.  Very special.  I got him boxers and swim trunks with fruit on them - ridiculous - and flowered lingerie and a golf bag.  It's always fun to come up with the traditional gifts.

Work is so so.  The big boss is really starting to get on my nerves.  They owe me like $7K in expenses and unpaid 401K contributions.  It is starting to stress me out.  I want to get an exit strategy, but everything is going so well with my new big client that I feel I can't rock the boat right now.  I do feel a little trapped, but at the same time I am thankful for a legal job that allows me the freedom to teach Pilates on the side and do other things that I love with very little supervision.  It has been interesting working with a senior attorney on a client that is mine -- she has obviously WAY more technical knowledge than I, but the client is mine.  I need her 100% to do the work.  So, it's not like I can just take the client and go to another firm.  I would need to find another "her and team and it is next to impossible to know what you are walking into until you do it.  I am going to meet with an attorney friend this week and just get his perspective.  I don't want to, say, look a gift horse in the mouth, but I also don't want to sit back while my career rolls past me and I am blindly allowing my firm to steal from me...credit and otherwise.  But it all goes back to the firm having 100% supported the development of this client, paying for everything, giving me the time to tons of marketing with/for them, etc. etc.  So, I am not going anywhere, but i want to keep my eyes open as well.  In any case, hopefully I can make some decent side money teaching Pilates!  (And flipping houses LOL)!

No comments: