14 hours ago
Wednesday, November 20, 2013
Shocked and saddened
That I have neglected this blog for almost two incredible years. In those two years I have gotten married, been to Thailand, changed jobs, gotten laid off, started my own business, moved to Chicago, went to Europe, turned THIRTY and am anticipating accepting a new job in the next few days. And many other daily amazements that I hope do not go unremembered.
Why is it critical life events that make me want to write and/or realize how lacking I have been? I have kept journals of some of my travels and a "daily" diary of a few lines (but even that has suffered in the last months). For goodness sakes my first year of marriage and a move across country? I couldn't write or record my thoughts on that? I guess I have just been so "busy" -- not an excuse. I wish I had even a line or two a day from those moments. Anyway, I do this all the time and feel bad about it but don't ever change. Maybe now. I am famous for starting and not completing projects, blogging is no different.
In any case, my future self is "lucky" now because I am majorly jet-lagged from our epic 2013/30th birthday trip to Europe. It is just past 6 a.m. and I went to bed with a sense of peace about my career for the first time in a long time, but woke up shortly past 4 thinking about it. Not so much in a negative way, but definitely with some fear and anticipation. After what happened after my new "big opportunity" last year (got-laid off six weeks after starting what I thought was a "dream job" but actually was a step away from Hades in a few short weeks), I am jaded and afraid. I know that I need to work hard and will probably be freaking out the first few months, but it sickens me that I have to be almost desperate in that sense. Isn't my "normal" level of work adequate?
Anyway, I swore I would never work for a woman again, and here we are. She seems cool, H (old boss) like. I can't say anything bad about H, I really can't. She was moody and a bit psychotic, but a good boss. Those long inquisitive stares she would give me and forcing me to sit in front of her while she talked on phone or ate lunch. She could be harsh, but in the end, she was "cool." I could drink with her. We could talk about men. My mistake was letting the secretary get between us.
Moving on. So now there is a new one. I hope I like her. I hope I love her. I am trying my darndest to look at her as a brand new person with none of my past judgments. I.e. the nice, sweet, mommy (C) who I thought was going to be the best boss ever but turned into a serpent within days and made H look like a walk in the park.
I am cautiously (very) optimistic. I am going to keep my side work as long as I can until I am sure this is going to be a good fit.
Oh yeah, and I have to take the bar in February. yay!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment